Zero Carbon Hub’s success secures future funding

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Speaking to a packed audience of more than 330 delegates at the Zero Carbon Hub’s Inaugural Annual Conference today, Chairman Paul King announced funding for the Zero Carbon Hub had been secured for the next financial year, to March 2012.

Paul King said:

The Zero Carbon Hub has more than proved its value to the many stakeholders across industry, government and the third sector that are committed to the practical delivery of zero carbon homes from 2016. It has consistently demonstrated the power of collaborative working, helping to build an impressive and progressive consensus around the level of energy efficiency, and on-site Carbon Compliance. It is a testament to this success that the Hub has now secured private sector funding until at least March 2012, enabling it to help inform the final definition of Zero Carbon and the means of cost-effective delivery for the house building industry.”

In a letter to Directors of the Zero Carbon Hub and members of the 2016 Taskforce, Housing and Local Government Minister Rt. Hon. Grant Shapps MP reaffirmed his commitment to the success of the Hub and wrote:

“I remain fully committed to the success of the Hub. I have been most impressed by the work of the Hub, its record of achievement over the last two years, and the way of working which the Hub has established with partners across the industry and from local government, green groups and others. The most recent report on the carbon compliance benchmark for 2016 task force is another example. I want the Department to remain involved in the Hub’s work and organisation, and we will continue to provide appropriate assistance.”

The Minister went on to say:

“The Hub has clearly matured as an organisation and it is right to look at different funding models.”

Financial support in the form of grant funding from the Department of Communities and Local Government, was reduced by 20% following the government’s Autumn 2010 spending review and this is due to end in March 2011.

At present, the Hub receives considerable financial and non-financial support from a wide-range of organisations. NHBC seconds staff to the Hub, including Zero Carbon Hub Chief Executive Neil Jefferson, and has provided £750k cash funding and significant support together with research funding from the NHBC Foundation.

To strengthen the Hub’s future, NHBC has agreed to provide additional £200k funding beyond March 2011 and NHBC Chief Executive and Hub Board Member, Imtiaz Farookhi, commented:

“The Hub is the envy of many other sectors of the built environment and its record of delivery, particularly in developing a workable definition for zero carbon new homes, has been impressive. The Hub’s objectives link very well with NHBC and, although I am very disappointed that government has decided not to provide grant funding, I am pleased that NHBC is able to continue to provide support for this crucial work.”

Robust Details Ltd has also provided financial support since the launch of the Hub and Chairman, Mike Freshney said:

“The Hub is providing an invaluable lead to help suppliers and housebuilders establish with Government a practical and economic route towards Zero Carbon new homes. Robust Details Ltd are anxious that the withdrawal of Government funding does not prejudice the progress of this valuable work and will continue to support the Hub.”

ENDS

For media enquiries please contact 0845 888 7620